Sunday, June 28, 2009

Walks...

Well I completed my first walk/run 5K race. It felt really great to cross the finish line. I have walked up to 8.5 miles in a day now. I have even had guts to start running a bit (up to a mile in split intervals). My body is feeling more energetic and overall I just feel wonderful. Changes are starting in the house as well. I am slowly eliminating most of the junk food (if not all) from the house. I can't just tell my kids to get fit I have to be an example and have healthier choices for their snacks or

I will probably be participating in at least two more walks before the Half-Marathon. One is a 10K practice run for the Half and another is for a GREAT cause. I am stepping out to stop diabetes.

Several years ago a friend of mine had a little boy named Johnathon. He was so precious. I vividly remember the last time I saw Johnathon. He was wearing a humongous tie (he loved wearing ties to church) with an eagle on it. He was standing on the back porch of our church. Such a handsome young man he was. Johnathon would pass away within that same week from undiagnosed juvenile diabetes at the age of 8. His parents started a Team to honor him called Team Gumby because that was his favorite toy while he slept.

I am stepping out to help stop diabetes and would like your support as well. If you are willing to help out click on this link

1 comment:

Christine, Jason and Baby said...

I am hoping to Step up to fight Diabetes too! So glad you are helping out.