Thursday, August 30, 2007

Words/Phrases I never thought I would hear or use...

...in my house.

Being a multicultural home now has made life a bit more interesting to say the least. I find myself giggling and sometimes just bust out laughing hearing the words/phrases that my new additions have brought to our home.

"NAPPY" as in your hair is NAPPY. It means your hair is really a mess and something needs to be done with it. It cracks me up if I haven't had time to brush in the morning and the kids call my hair nappy.

"greasing your hair" To keep moisture in the girls' hair I have to apply a moisturizer to it frequently. Otherwise it will become brittle and break off.

"flat ironing" Some white girls/women may do this but I had never heard of it until I went to a Sally's and had to purchase one to do the girls' hair.

It also cracks me up that one of our son's seems to always pick out race as in "daddy those white boys can't play football" or "daddy you didn't put any white people music on my MP3 player". We crack up over this all the time.

He also was the boy who when told by his case manager that they had found a forever family for him and they are caucasian he said, "Caucasian people I ain't living with no caucasian people." The case manager then used the term "white people" and he said "white people oh that's fine but I ain't living with no Caucasian people"

We have even had a person that Larry works with wonder which kids are adopted. The guy had never seen me before so he asked that.

One little girl in our daycare cracked me up. She was talking to her mom about our kids' skin color, hair, and eyes all being dark. Her mom said it's because their mommy and daddy were black. She said well Mr. Larry isn't black but Ms. Heidi is. (She was referring to my hair and eyes).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

out of the mouths of babes. Don't you wish grown ups could be so honest with each other instead of playing the politically correct card all the time. There is a time and place for it. But sometimes it's nice to just speak your mind, nappy hair and all!

Perri said...

I'm looking forward to reading a lot more of what goes on in your house :)