Thursday, September 6, 2007

The "Littles"

Being the mom of so many kids does find it time consuming to call out all the kids' names while discussing something. So we have conjured up a name for the entire group of kids which is LOVINGLY known as "weasels." In the weasels we have two groups "the littles" and "the bigs".

"The littles" consist of the three youngest beings in my home. (Perri can see it now. The kids will be in their teens and still be referred to as the littles). They are so cute, sweet, and loving one minute and then the next become ornery, impulsive, little tornadoes who get into everything they know they aren't suppose to. They always either make me laugh or want to pull my hair out. Today was the latter.

I get up pretty early in the mornings so I can ensure my prayer/bible/quiet time with God ALONE. It is tiring by the end of the night BUT I feel so fulfilled beginning my day with God and continually walking with Him all day long. Today though "the littles" may have gotten up an hour and a half later than I did but I feel as if I woke up 2 hours before I normally do. I am exhausted physically because they just drained me of all my energy today. Needless to say, I ended up putting "the littles" to bed EARLY. The "littles" have a hard time getting to sleep when we have put all the weasels to bed at the same time. We have tried putting "the littles" to bed an hour before normal bedtime (all children under 13 go to bed at 9) but they are just so restless (for 2 of them it takes over an hour for them to fall asleep). Then when "the bigs" come to bed they get all hyper. Today though we went for a little bit earlier. It was an hour and 45 minutes before the "bigs" normal bedtime. I think we may have hit the jackpot. When I went upstairs about 30 mins. ago they were all asleep. Now I am praying as I have just sent the "bigs" to bed they don't accidentally wake up the "littles."

This momma is having a blast being a parent of 9 children. I was thanking God this morning for choosing me and Larry for this awesome responsibility. It's amazing when God is TOTALLY into something that HE makes it all work out for the GOOD. (I know it's scriptural but it never ceases to amaze me!!)

On to a lighter moment.... Tonight we were at a website that we had read about in our Foster Parenting newsletter that we receive monthly. We were looking at pictures of these families who have adopted. Camilia was spending quality time with us downstairs as we were looking at the gallery of pictures. This Caucasian woman had these two little Asian girls in her arms and Camilia kept saying "that's just wrong, that ain't right." We asked her what she was talking about and she said "that white girl shouldn't be adopting those Japanese kids." We kept looking at her and she repeated herself again. I was laughing hysterically because she didn't make the connection about our cultural/color differences and the fact that there are probably people out there who think the same thing about us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speaking of making connections. Your story reminds me of the time when we had to tell our then 8 yr old that she was adopted. NO, she didn't know, we'd had her since she was 4 months old and let's just say it never came up. Anyway, the almight, great & wise social worder said we had to tell her or the adoption would NOT go thru. So in short, we told her she did not grow in my belly the way her older sisters did, & that daddy was not her "biological" daddy. But she was our baby all the same, it didn't matter how she got here, only that she did.
Even at 8, she could comprehend she did not grown in my belly, but to this day, I don't think she understands that daddy, is not her biological daddy! she's 18, no connection at all, it's just her reality. funny how they make things make sence in thier minds.