Saturday, May 10, 2008

Play Day!!!

Yesterday was Nate's field trip to Holiday World. Play Day is a special day for kids with a variety of special needs and/or require special education services through the public school system. When he first heard about his field trip he was told he could pick a parent to go with him. He chose me. I knew this was going to be a great bonding experience for us.
I let Nate choose whatever he wanted to do. My only rule was once we were in line that we were going to ride the ride. So off we went me with my Dramamine and wrist bracelets to prevent nausea/motion sickness and Nate with probably too many choices for an ADHD kid to pick from. Of course it was cute watching him interact with all of his friends and teachers from school. It was like he hadn't seen them in a VERY long time. He wanted to go where ever they went. I just tagged along until he chose which ride we were going to ride. We rode a total of 5 rides (some more than once) and even was scared together as we rode the Voyage.

After lunch he was determined to go to the gift shop and buy something for himself. I was surprised to see that he wanted to get Tim and he the same thing. I was EXTREMELY pleased that he wasn't only thinking of himself though. So we bought the swords and yellow car (see post below).

We enjoyed ice cream together and a funnel cake as the park was closing. I enjoyed making memories with Nate today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to read your blog post about Play Day. I plan to share it with our staff to help remind them how very important this day is to so many famiies.

I ended up riding the carousel backwards with a TV cameraman -- wish I could have borrowed your wristbands!

Paula